Abandoned Art - "Reve Du Papillon"



I am probably taking this "Art Abandonment" thing too far, but I'm having so much fun with it, it's hard to stop.  If you don't know what that is, check out the Art Abandonment group on Facebook or Google "Art Abandonment" or "Free Art Fridays."  There are a number of movements out there where artists are leaving pieces of art in public places for people to find and enjoy.  I've actually been doing this for at least five years already, but it's becoming very popular now, in large part due to the Facebook group's founders and members.

"Reve Du Papillon" will soon be among those pieces abandoned.  This is a mixed media assemblage piece made almost completely of recycled materials.  The substrate is a piece of bevelled wood I salvaged from the junk pile at a woodworking shop.  Various paints, inks and other treatments form the background, along with a vintage image and various repurposed embellishments (including a salvaged butterfly and harlequin face cabochon which give the piece a 3D look).  It sits on a faux wrought iron stand.

I am not sure where I will abandon this piece but it will be somewhere in the Okanagan Valley during the month of February.

Perhaps you'll find it???




3 comments:

Sallyballybee said...

I love it.....I recently made some cards to abandon......I started by slipping some into the back of books at Edinburgh airport and continued to leave them all around Barcelona.....I arrived back home on sunday and am part way through making more....I now need to work out where I'll leave them...

Joanna Grant Art said...

It's so much fun, isn't it Sally? I would have loved to have found one of your cards. What a treat for some lucky reader! Cheers! Joanna

Donna said...

I love this! Someone will be very lucky to find it! I love abandoning art, but it is very addictive!