I took a piece of paper that I had monoprinted on with my Gelli plate. I hadn't been too happy with how this particular piece had turned out and tried to figure out what I could do to improve it so that I would actually use it in my art. (Sorry, I didn't take a scan of the page without anything on it so I could show you each step.)
I took my India ink and with an eyedropper, started at one end of the long side of the paper (it's 8.5 X 11 copy paper) and drizzled the India ink liberally along the edge so it would run down the page in multiple streams of varying length. Then I set it aside to dry.
When it was dry, I turned the paper around and did the same thing again from the other end of the long side, allowing the ink to link up with some of the drizzles from the previous step. After it was dry, I touched up each of the ends to form a border of black ink and let it dry again.
Then I decided to do some journaling and zentangle inspired doodling in the spaces created by the drizzles of India ink. I used my Uniball Vision gel pen (permanent) because it flows quite nicely over the paint on the page. I alternated between journaling and doodling as I moved across the page, and I turned the page as I worked to make it more interesting to try and read the text. (It reads "go with the flow" and "bend but never break.") Here's what it looks like partly done.
And here is the finished page, which I think I will glue into a journal. I am pretty happy with how it turned out and it was a great solution, I think, for a piece I wasn't very happy with to start. Now, I can hardly see all the things I didn't like about the print. I think I'll try this again!
Have a great day everyone!