Facing Your Fears - Art Journalling With Confidence

I admit it.  I am not comfortable drawing, painting or creating faces in any way, shape or form.  There I said it.  Now maybe I can get on with the business of practicing faces so I will be confident creating them.

This journal page uses a stencil from the fabulous Julie Fei-Fan Balzer of Balzer Designs.  She created several face stencils for those face-phobes like me who avoid 'em.  This was my first attempt at working with her stencils and I am pretty happy with the results.  The simple background was created with sprays (Adirondack Color Washes, as well as some home made recipes).  I used a pencil with the stencil and then a heavy Sharpie marker.  A finer marker did all the little words in her hairdo, as well as the drippy hearts (my favourite-est doodle).  Her eyelid, lips and earring are embellished with purple glitter.

This journal page is called, "She Is ..." and she is all the adjectives noted in her 'do.'



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love her. I'm also afraid of faces so I've never put one in my journal. I don't draw well so maybe a stencil would help me too. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

Jane said...

She looks great Joanna! Thanks for sharing her.

Joanna Grant Art said...

Thanks, Boo and Jane. Boo, by all means, give the stencil idea a try, I am sure it will help. Also, I'll have another post shortly about a different technique for dealing with faces, so stay tuned. Thanks, as always, for your support. Joanna

Erin Fish said...

I love what you have done using the stencil. Thanks for the descriptive process which really helps to inspire me. I'm on the search for Julie's face stencils as we speak. She also has a great video on Drawing Faces that is excellent - funky, colourful and creative - like you.

Joanna Grant Art said...

Aww, Erin, you are so sweet! I will look for her faces video, I wasn't aware of it. I am sure it will help! Cheers! Joanna